Thursday 15 December 2011

Magazine Double Page Spread Final

This is the final design for my music magazine double page spread. This piece had the most amount of changes from the original mock-up design. Firstly I ended up changing the layout of the smaller images and the body copy. This was partly because I noticed there would be too much writing if I had stayed with the original design. This would have possibly turned some people away from wanting to read the article and made it seem more boring, so I cut down the amount of text space and filled in empty space with another image because according to the music questionnaires I made, many of the people I questioned liked buying magazines for the images inside. I also made my main image take up most of the double page spread just like most double page spreads do. 

I included a header as a way of telling the readers which section of the magazine they are currently at and used the same colours, text font and arrow design to create a symbiotic link between this piece and my other two. For the headline, I made sire it would span a page and a bit so that it would be a clear indication that this is a double page spread. After analysing many other double page spreads, I found that the headline is usually in the form of a quote, sometimes by a member of the band. This would grab audiences attention because it will make them feel like their getting to take a peek in to the mind of the band member, so that is why I decided to let my headline follow a similar flow, and let it be a quote by a band member. I continued the use of purple as on the from cover to help strengthen the symbiotic link.

I included a stand first which is common in double page spreads at the start of the articles. I basically summarises what the article in one sentence without giving away the actual content. The stand first can also be the thing that convinces people to find out what the actual article is about, if they find the stand first interesting. For the main body copy, I wrote a short article about the rise of my band ended up separating the text into two columns. This would not only give me more room to write, but it also made the layout of the text look more professional. I topped if off by inserting a line between the two columns as is done in many other articles with columns. In the middle of the article, I inserted a 'pull quote'. This is commonly used as a technique to interest readers in reading the full article. The way this is done if by making the quote something that the audience would feel surprised or shocked to read about. This way, they become interested and want to continue reading. I included some more quotes at the bottom that would surely grab attention, or they could also be 'boxed text' because they have nothing to do with the 'body copy'.

Lastly, the smaller images I included because they are to do with the article and make the double page spread more image heavy which is appealing to my target audience. I did the same thing as I did with my contents page's images and placed them on white rectangles so that it looks like instant photos so that readers fell like the photos are recent. I also included a keyline with all of the smaller images because it makes it look like the images are jumping out of the page and make them more appealing to look at.



No comments:

Post a Comment